Monday, February 27, 2023

THERE IS A PLANETERIUM IN MY HEAD (REVISED)

 

(to my Grandfather, Milton B. Young)


there is a planetarium in my head

where stars in their tinfoil whirr overhead

and I am a tiny queen of the stage props

devised to emulate the sun and the moon;

if I blur my eyes to a state of dream

all the star wheels can be seen

for Spring and Summer and

the Winter Constellations

the subtle maps of Autumn I withhold from this poem

so that I may remain on earth a little more gold and secretly

and all this is a kind of birth recurring

like the paper revolving charts

our Grandfather brought home for us one day

to my sister and I as though he were handing us

the universe one summer

with his mysterious smile

his fervent adoration of the Space Program


so I turn my inner skies

so many years later

in charge somewhat

of my own theater and surmise 

or know outright, if I am patient for awhile

as God was patient in His "Let There Be Light"

as compared with my subordinate clause of

"let there be twinkliness"

all the stars will come clear

and all the light years.

mary angela douglas 1 september 2022;27 february 2023

No comments: