Sunday, May 21, 2023

FROM A SUMMER DIARY AFTER THE MANNER OF JANACEK

 

for the blackberry paths I never wandered down

in all the summers melting my hands

I leave this scrapbook, souvenir

by pale moonlight, Titania

sing the echoes in my head

and the air scented with roses and gardenias

by the fairytale clock tower sings:

the hour is late

is always when

no matter when you wake onstage

for your little bit

the heart can only hold

so much time

and no carriage fairytale spokes

may make up the difference between

the spoken and the Unseen

in all this banishing

no matter how fast they twinkled.

I could have had a pale green sunhat

straw into gold made

filled with blackberries

and later fine cream

to pour over them

one Sunday

but already

the fated winds had shaken 

all the flowering trees

evicting us from the rose gardens.

leaving no clues in the clouds.

mary angela douglas 21 may 2023

No comments: