Wednesday, May 24, 2023

AWASH IN GREEN COMETS HOW COULD I WISH TO LIVE

for my sister, Sharon F. Douglas


starpoint. seemingly fixed in one place

I cannot address you as Keats could

I'm not that person when I know the stars

are imprint

emblems of a slowly vanishing blueprint,

awash in green comets how could I wish to live

anticipating the end

when I love too much the green of earth

and the May nights

the way that they were then

when every star to my imagination

was a white rose blossoming,

fragrant in the bouquets of Heaven

and I could whisper Endymion

like the thread of silver through the world

of unfinished letters, the aftermirage of saints.

now we are accounted quaint that we love old poetry

more than we dread the news

but I can tell you it may happen again

that the heavens blaze in the sounding board of an intrepid piano

reechoing Schumann

played as if we were only the Song

God, Himself, had waited on.

mary angela douglas 24 may 2023


No comments: