Saturday, July 22, 2023

A JEWEL TONED WORD TO THE MINIMALISTS

 

still we should be filled with a longing
to be fluent in our own languages at least
as Shakespeare was, impossible as it is
to outweigh that golden largesse
I do confess with Browning
exceed your grasp in wishing
or what's dear Heaven for
and I have heard my adjectives thrashing at
the door
and mermaids sweeter tongued than Eliot's
and I WILL let them in
in every colour radiant
the adjectives that is
with their attendant imagery
and the mermaids too,
even sloshing through
even though you laugh at me
adrift in my starry, emotional creeds;
at sea!
you minimalist poets
who don*t allow even a pear blossom on the bough
of your poems
oh well.
each to his own so Lauren said
or so the script read
from childhood on
I dreamed of script in all the jewel tones
in flourishing handwriting
then settled on sweet green ink
I still think that's the best colour
for poets to write in
still in the first blush of writing
may it always be so
let it be in the colours of Spring
all of it singing
I am so thankful
for everything passed down to us
in Poetry
and could sip that nectar
hummingbird like,
forever.
clashing of cymbals
the lightning lit skies
try and stop me.
mary angela douglas 22 july 2023

No comments: