Monday, July 24, 2023

ALPHABET SOUP SUPREME IN ARKANSAS, 1956

 

ALPHABET SOUP SUPREME IN ARKANSAS, 1956
a relative said to me when I was five
when you go to school you will learn THE ALPHABET
oh angel choirs!
and somehow the way he said it
made me see the letters as 10 feet high, golden
and all made out of flowers.
little birds sitting on the tip top singing
their blue bird of happiness hearts out.
fast forward to First Grade.
weary Miss Parker in her serviceable shoes and shirtwaists
her Tangee orange popsicle lipstick
is having us drone after her as she points with a stick
to the letters one at a time
in lovely cursive writing above the blackboard.
suddenly I raise my hand waving and waving.
Yes? she turns a languid long suffering eye upon me
half heartedly turned a quarter from the Board
in slight profile
WHEN ARE WE GOING TO LEARN THE ALPHABET, MISS PARKER?
Her face turns red but of course I asked due to the fact that
no blue birds are
singing, no blossoms garland the letters and they are hard
even to see from
my desk seat...and the angel choirs must be stuck
in the art supply closet with the big thick pencils
and manilla drawing paper...
What do you think we are DOING? says Miss Parker on her last
nerve
as they say here in North Carolina.
I don't feel bad. I just think oh. there must be a mistake
somewhere.
the next year, Miss Parker retires from teaching.
but I still keep that feeling about THE ALPHABET.
and it still gleams 10 feet high and flocked by bluebirds and
garlanded with all the flowers God ever made
golden in even this summer's shade
at 72.
mary angela douglas 24 july 2023

No comments: