Saturday, July 29, 2023

SWANS EMBROIDERED ON THE WATERS

 

swans embroidered on the waters

I, too, have my mythologies

but in cherishing of swans

and even their reflections gliding, eliding

I know I am not unique

except that from a young age

I loved the fairytale of  the wild swans

as interpreted by Hans Christian Andersen

almost a founding myth, a foundling myth to me

and like Elise I saw my transfiguration in the skies

I had my dream task set out for me

to thread the nettles to take the linen and

embroider it so 

that my brothers transformed into wheeling swans

might find again their freedom and be home again

as they were

and the bells of exile cease

the innocent be salvaged;

the soul released

from incomparable captivities.

mary angela douglas 29 july 2023

No comments: