Tuesday, August 08, 2023

FOR ROBERT FROST (FINAL REVISION)

 

FOR ROBERT FROST
as a child I did wonder about what the grownups meant
by "a hard frost"
frost is not good for living things
any frost would be hard enough
and now I feel a conversation with Robert Frost
is coming up in the glazed over wings of my imaginary playhouse
or the wings of angels are scripted in frost
on my immemorial window panes, ghost windows
gleam and suddenly I say its much the same thing to say
gazing out at a shivery window tree
I've lived through apple frosts today a thousand times over
he would understand, no second guessing
and so I think of him and the kindred gift of the land
in all his poetry:
the snowy harness shake of his horse stamping
the cold woods down and soundless, the snow words
forming in a kind of winter storm warning, gloaming
I wonder if he is still making conversational poems
in Heaven, if there is maple sugar there. or if
the birch tree swings still dazzle in the ice storms
brittle and shimmering;
I know there are no fences there
earth's the right place for frost
I hear him say
for all the apple orchard ladders
leaning against the winesap, infinite skies.
wishing they may be bestarred, at least,
occasionally, lit up like Christmas trees.
in such a way, the fir trees, spangled.
mary angela douglas 5 february 2023;8 august 2023
All reactions:
Mary Angela Douglas

No comments: