Saturday, November 25, 2023

A DIFFERENT KIND OF READING I TRIED TO FETCH


A different kind of reading I tried to fetch

no fool’s gold from the remnants but the beloved passages

in old books

charactry of the stars or the least of the showers of meteors so

easily projected on the screen of the mind

when pin pricks there where the silver foil shows through

in my dream project for school simulate in partial eclipses always

those sweet disruptions in Heaven

lost o lost the magic lanterns now

what is now

the books hold still the maps from ramen noodle here to transcendent there

if you can trace the sepia of it all on your tracing paper

stuck in the hobbies you had so gloriously

when you were twelve years old

what is all this I hear the Giant fume

creaking down his crooked ladder from the folktale sky

while I in the vestiges of afternoon

from the heirloom rose garden I would live in

or I would try

In a pink dress with a parasol from my sister, I

come up with no replies

but he resumes like zig zag lightning

in old cartoons surprising me at my rest

you don’t know poetry

at all he jests

I look at him and sigh it all away

who can put it into words today

must know as has been noted before

the language of the birds, forgotten lore

and mother of pearl,

the pearl swans lifting, leaving home;

what seemed to be, illusory

below them in the truculent seas.

mary angela douglas 25 november 2023


No comments: