Saturday, November 11, 2023

GHOSTS OF MY MUSIC, OH WHEN WILL WE DEPART (FINAL VERSION)

 

oh ghosts of my music

when will we depart

I will not leave without you.


here on the old rolls the census of your notes

has been taken. they will not hold you

those who dislike your art

who think it some dead joke

this classical music


and sneer at the comfort with which

you comforted me 

the child that I am that I was

the starriness with which I regarded you when

the composers in plaster of paris molded


the days into a kind of snow in my Grandmother's studio.

sparkling and vast.

oh may these bright feelings last


perhaps I prayed

over the etudes 

and what I couldn't play or badly

I could listen to , all the great translations

of Infinity


I'm weeping into these transcriptions

as if they were your griefs, made manifest.

and I have heard your violins, your pianos


the flowering glissandos and the harp's

descrescendo in order to forestall all deaths

all deserts to outlast

under your invisible palms.

though you are delicate, kaleidoscopic, fraught


mirage-like you are not.

though knaves might wish it so

more solid than their schemes

who live to banish you.


as if they could and all my dreams

before I ever spoke or wrote upon the air

feelings like lightning lost despairs

who breathed Heaven into our exile


becoming  the fairytale wood and

as if you were a Heart and understood

childhoods flighty sorrows ephemeral

and strange 

and chartered the countries where we

joy, apart. then as now. 

and always.

mary angela douglas 26 january 2015;11 november 2023

No comments: