Tuesday, November 28, 2023

THIS IS A DREAM OF STARS HE MAY HAVE SAID IN A DREAM

 (to the memory of my Grandfather handing to us on a summer's day,

star wheels, star maps you could turn to see the summer constellations...or winter, or spring, or fall...)


this is a dream of stars he may have said in a dream

I had recently that I forgot when I woke up

the dream of stars the way they used to be seen


from our backyard?

when someone had that dream before you

and couldn't get out of their head the music of

the spheres, remember?


or was that earlier.

new mists have come to be and they

cloud everything now.


even in the National Geographic


but this is your dream of stars you won't remember

this is what they say to you in fairytales when

you see something rare before you're meant to:


you won't remember this when you awake.

go back to sleep. you're in the house

you used to know my Grandfather smiled


a far away smile when


my Grandmother lullabied and they were

eating ice cream in a midnight kitchen

and we were all laughing.


mary angela douglas 15 march 2015


No comments: