Monday, December 18, 2023

LOSING THE TRAIL TO THE SUN AGAIN, I CRY

Losing the trail to the sun again, I cry

tears in the appling orchards frozen over

where have I hid from myself

the paling summers

swift are the time lapsed clouds above me

they drift in the wounded colour wheels and in their tapering off

I mourn for

earth as seen from space

no longer a wonder

factions fight and splinter the constellations 

we were not born for all this consternation

beyond my sight, the tree lines’ demarcations

shade into darkening green and then are gone.

how have we become such a desultory nation

where have we left our souls and why so wan

have the captains abandoned their given stations.

eating the last of the feast I wonder why

God in his nearness cannot get from us

a single valid reason why

we think we made the world ourselves;

when the evidence pales

and evening falls

I will say my prayers, keel haul  these shadows from the walls

Believe in spring again, springtide, after all deny

this uttermost drought of dreams feigned normalcy

and stutter the high winds into beauty reclaimed.

mary angela douglas 18 december 2023

No comments: