Sunday, February 04, 2024

STONE SOUP REDOUX OR: SOUP'S ON!

 

STONE SOUP REDOUX OR: SOUP'S ON!

Even as a child I loved that story

Though I didn’t understand at all

As I did much later

Its wry warning

A man comes to a certain village

With only a stone.

I have here he expounds to the curious

Watchful crowd that gathers

I have here a magic stone

My magic stone can make

The most wonderful stew

From merely boiling water

You have but to fetch

Some parsnips, carrots

Potatoes from your garden

Maybe snag a chicken or two

A small one will do

And then: Ill drop in the stone

For such a stew

You never have known

And so the mesmerized villagers run

To do his bidding.

I did the same.

Too many times to name.

Until the garden was depleted.

Rich broth indeed.

Now I am in need.

The peddlar having drunk it all up.

What was meant to be my sup.

Mary angela douglas 4 february 2024


No comments: