Tuesday, April 16, 2024

I WILL BE TRUE TO THE CURIO FAIRY TALE ROAD

 

I WILL BE TRUE TO THE CURIO FAIRY TALE ROAD

I Will be true to the curio fairy tale road

The path that opened up for me in the thistles

Thistles and the one Rose

Rose past all memory and fame

Knocked on the wind and was gone

Because the glitter didn’t matter

As much as was supposed 

to thick paste on the brush, art programs

With construction paper colorful Christmas tree chains

And Sunday school leaflets all ablaze with Ark and rainbow

David with his harp by the riverbank

I have made a covenant with my eyes

To see only beauty truth and goodness

To be thought unwise in their pursuit

In naming you my Father

Depending on a golden drift of leaves

For happiness suddenly piano music

Through an open door and these worlds

Disclose rouault like the face of my Christ

Who said

You with your lilac wished upon stars

Are you going very far

My grandmother calling after me

Take bread and toasted cheese

And your galoshes

The saints in Heaven asked for me

And I in a whirlwind of snow

Trudged on in dreams

Oh Pegasus in other aprils

Don’t you remember?

With mint green wings

In the jewelry box of Time.

All the adventures we had.

mary angela douglas 16 april 2024


No comments: