Tuesday, May 28, 2024

CAROUSEL REDUX

 

CAROUSEL REDUX


It shouldn’t be so hard to describe

The horses painted in oil spill colours

The gravity of getting on in the first place

It is always twilight in the dream

Attending angels with the low flying clouds

And spinning around makes me want 

To go back home

but carousels are incapable of transport

my lavender steed cant detach itself from the mechanism

And become a children’s birthday party 

Pony,a derby winner wreathed with roses

Useless to be riding painted ponies

Through the painted desert this time of year

I want to get off the carousel

But it is complicated

I have paid the fare

due diligence is expected.

the ghost conductors have gone home

With extra cotton candy for their children

And I am here in painted tears

Rehearsing all the carnival years

as the ponies look dangerous

And fearful simultaneously

Of my centrifugal heart

Their bright colours do them no good

Their bridles painted with wildflowers

And in my dream I know that they know

That the kettledrum thunder coming out of the sky

Was only just preliminary.

o they cannot bolt and go.

This is a dream of vertigo

But after awhile

I will wake up to birdsong

The stability of trees

Rising from the ground in green profusion

Turning their underside silver leafed wonder

while I'm

Thanking God I am home again at last

And spooning from a delft bowl of cream

the wild strawberries for breakfast.

mary angela douglas 29 may 2024


No comments: