Thursday, June 06, 2024

IMAGINARY CONVERSATION AFTER THE FACT OSIP MANDELSTAM TO ANNA AKHMATOVA

 

IMAGINARY CONVERSATION AFTER THE FACT: OSIP MANDELSTAM TO ANNA AKHMATOVA

Thus have they laid our honeycombed sun to rest

When we walked along the Neva in the earliest days

Thinking of the sublime

In Petersburg when it was ours

And all of classical poetry seemed

For you at least but the prelude to your swans drift

Drifting Anna, I was drifting there as well

Happy at any feast, infatuated and cherry dark Nadezhda

At my side yet also your Muse’s friend I WAS; I think a cameo

Friend perhaps appearing now in the skies above your star crowned head

In our separate heavens, Anna

A man with a bird lodged in his heart I was on earth

That God released into poetry as into a mirror laden dream

And into the open air where

They shot it dead. The archers of our time.

A futile gesture on their part we would agree

In our cloudlike states, still ironic.

Now we are the immortals.

As if it mattered to anyone but the angels.

Drifting Anna, queen of snowlike gestures

Of poetic alacrity. My friend.

mary angela douglas 6 june 2024


No comments: