Monday, June 03, 2024

THE ISLANDS OFF THE LOST COAST OF MONET (REPOSTED)

 

THE ISLANDS OFF THE LOST COAST OF MONET

[to my Grandmother, Lucy W. Young]

in the islands off the lost coast of Monet


I culled the water lily colors
in the water

cupping my hands in music curving back


while in the air of wandering mirrors
this residue of a gold-threaded azure


lifted and fell...


it's the long-expected radiance
you can't explain


emeshed in the fairytales


as they're told
like hidden angels in the picture


you don't see at first


that have to be pointed out to you
before they melt again:


sheer traceries richly borrowed


from all that fondant light.


in a painting by Monet


cream yellow floats
edged in a tanager red...


but I am shimmering and lost


as if in a prelude by Debussy and
somehow in the way.


I tripped the rose-tripped light


of a hidden evanescence
holding the white cathedral still


only with my gaze


and I wept with no sound at all
into these plum-ransacked streams


smudging slightly


their taffeta waters purling -
crooning - to each loved thing:
"don't disappear..."


I'm calling your endangered colors home


and willing the unmoored prisms not to break
let silver trumpets sound


your amethyst testaments


by far


the last of their kind-

mary angela douglas 3-5 july 2010


No comments: