Friday, June 07, 2024

WINDSHIELD WIPERS IN THE RAIN

 

WINDSHIELD WIPERS IN THE RAIN

Windshield wipers in the rain

Their mesmerizing swish and metronome feeling

Their momentary lullaby and lulling

Recall to me my Grandfather

Driving us to school, my sister and I

The feeling of wanting to remain

In that light blue Ford safe from rain

From looming tests, austere faces

Not to return 

To that cold Marian citadel

I knew too well

Adverse to Protestants or so it seemed,

Or adverse to me;completely without gaiety

I swallow my small heart beating. I want to go home.

Let it be Christmas.

Let all the Christmas lights be on 

During daylight hours

The tulip bulbed on the shining tree

Let us be in the sanctuary

Of home.

Not to be.

Love is duty and duty is love

For love we abandon all consolation.

Or defer it. That’s the deal we’ve all made.

The first taste of honour on the battlefield.

Sometimes I think of Heaven

As a day that lasts forever home from school

With all the Christmas lights burning daylight

Forever.

mary angela douglas 7 june 2024


No comments: