Saturday, August 17, 2024

THE ONE LITTERED WITH STARS, WITH AMETHYSTS

 

THE ONE LITTERED WITH STARS, WITH AMETHYSTS

I took the silver bend in the road

The one littered with stars, with amethysts

The one where I sighed to the birch trees

Someone else’s heroine

In a language made of glass

And thought of Time as only mist.

Whom have you seen pass by you on the road

Almost the snowy saints seemed to ask me in dreams

Or some minor royalty displaced

Plucking the thornbush and not the rose.

I know what I know but I dream everything

I said, sometimes in secondary colours.

or jewel toned, Christmas bell tones.

Simpleton!  roared the ghostly throng

Always listening in on some old pay phone

Always riffing on my Song

But I still know

I wasn’t wrong.

mary angela douglas 17 august 2024

No comments: