Monday, August 29, 2011

Startled Birds

over a bridge of clouds I passed
not looking at my reflection in the water
and it seemed to me there was no sound
when the harp of shadows passed
to no other


and that my heart was taken from me

by things no longer on earth.

then wind for me a harp of pearl

and I will stand
soundless on a bridge of clouds
with all around the startled birds

you folded into snow


II
sensing the clouds above the clouds
I tried to run-
finding the severed music, everywhere

forgetting how to walk


this loose stitching

always comes undone

undone


a thousand laments were launched;

they fell into foam...
and I am singing low, so low
by the edges of your seas

the startled birds of your lost

languages-

reprieved


mary angela douglas 27 august 2011







No comments: