Saturday, March 19, 2016

The Dwarf Star's Impression Of The Children Leaving Home

"Twinkle twinkle little star
how I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high..."
-English Nursery Rhyme Song

they didn't close the gate this time;
their Grandmother will be sad
and the leaves in the yard are piled up

everywhere.
who will jump in them now
so that they leap up almost

to where I shine?
or swing a little harder on the swings
trying to reach the tops of the pines.

I would light their way
but I am small and long gone by.
I will weep with the small white clover

in the grasses, my cousins,
once it is summer.
they will be far away

by then
but I will find them.
will they know me

viewing it all from a window
strange to them?
I wonder.

having been taught by them
so long ago
that little twinkling song

they sang
in the back yard.

mary angela douglas 19 march 2016

No comments: