Friday, January 19, 2018

Somehow I See Them Anyway

somehow I see don't ask me how
in wine dark shadows on a stretch of sand
Quixote in the in between lands

and Sancho painted in
an afterthought in a well oiled corner
this is the painting as it comes to me

shimmering mirage like over a sea of contradictions
impositions, shipwrecked critical theories I ignore
it all sithstanding dolorous centuries

disrupted now  by cold calls on a free government phone
how unlikely I am to understand much less to own

even the least grain of Cervantes
I know full well they will think to see me
so I stay hidden and read him anyway

in English even in Spanish on some days
not because I have to or that words impress
when spoken from a fabled past

but only because I love them in my way
Quixote and the shadow of his rotund squire
their horrible dilemmas.in the play of

time and time traveling Light
upon my winter's night

and not because I aspire to make a name
lingering a little longer than necessary in their shade,
in their tear stained Legends.

mary angela douglas 19 january 2018