Friday, October 05, 2018

Helping The Less Fortunate, Some Notes On The Subject

HELPING THE LESS FORTUNATE, SOME NOTES ON THE SUBJECT
(God Bless Everyone Who Ever Helped Anyone Still Feel Like Themselves)
I think the less fortunate
is a most unfortunate phrase
I know it's meant to convey kindness.
try this test at home while you've still got one.
home AND a mirror.
stare into a large mirror, or a small one will do:
one that hasn't been pawned yet.
murmur to yourself
I'm the less fortunate,
now try the whole phrase
as it usually occurs in nature:
helping the less fortunate.
helping me, the less fortunate, they are.
feeling the spirit of Christmas and the Star.
when you're not the one needing help
it gives you a little glow, doesn't it.
it used to give me that glow.
until I was somehow checkerboard moved
for some time, though I worked hard all my days
into that very cage of the extremely unpraised,
the less fortunate.
some kind of game piece indeed
then I felt differently.
no one believed me when I said I prayed.
I love God. Im not bipolar. I don't drink.
or run around all over town
They looked skeptical and kept on taking notes.
delusional I read upside down.
sometimes they seemed to be gloating
then I felt so detached I was floating above them
watching them from the ceiling
and saw they were doodling on the clipboard.
I saw they were thinking of lunch (their own).
I can tell you for sure
this is hard to endure
especially at Christmas
being considered "less fortunate'
watching the tv bolted to the ceiling
in the next to last place to ask
you're in that particular caste
knowing, they think you'd steal it.
bolts and all.
oh holly dolly
each time the kettle bell rings
nothing to carol about except the King
do you know what I mean
but He's the main thing!
little match girl stare into the flame
to find your Grandmother again
I want to say to any girl feeling this way.
it's as if they are calling your name
each time that they explain
this is for the less fortunate
you you you are less fortunate
not like me in my Italian heels
well matched with my dangly earrings
turned out as if for the Queen
making the non profit scene
it's not appealing to be dealt with this way.
unless you remember back in the day
that when Joseph and Mary
arrived at the inn even being less fortunate
wouldn't get them in.
I remember the less fortunate early martyrs
being fed to the fortunate lions.
no helping there.
it's not a feeling you want to share.
try it now. say it.
I AM THE LESS FORTUNATE.
are you walking on air?
I'M THE ONE YOU WANT TO HELP
HELPING YOU TO BUBBLE OVER WITH GOOD WILL.
I'm in that tribe.
while I'm alive I'm just that prop
with feeling still.
against my will
you make me sup
at the less than table wearing that label
and give yourself banquets in the sweet Spring
and prizes for doing oh everything
to help but you know some people
just won't help themselves
the banquetees agree
the honored speaker
when all I really need
is to feel like I am the same person
I was before
when I had my own door
and I know I am.though you don't understand.
Was Jesus the same man
when he hung on the cross
and they tossed the dice for his last garment.
Give HIM free clothes. Ask him what he's addicted to.
He'll answer Love. God.
all of you.
Show HIM how to make a budget.
who made the whole world.
how to make do with 15 cans of corn.
picture now yourself
in the self same flapping shoes
hearing your 'name' on the news.
"at this time of year, helping the less fortunate
disappear beyond all christening.
do you feel helped? feel Christmasy, do you?
do you feel You?
mary angela douglas 5 october 2018