Sunday, November 03, 2019

The World At Its Best

when God keeps juggling His coloured glass globes
to keep from thinking why don't they see Me at all
I fall into his tattered lovely pocket 

and rest. and then I dream of the world at its best
newly spangled the circus arriving at midnight
with Ray Bradbury

strawberries in the morning with lemon cream
the world as scene or mise en scene in the books I love
and everything green.

I pick Him flowers and He smiles
even though He made them
as if they were something he'd never seen

and in the evenings I ask how did You choose
the fragrances, the gardenia's cream.
I wish the way I used to long ago

so many wishes I have to put them in storage
and turn and turn in the ballets all our own
the ones where we wear pink

and pretend we were roses.

mary angela douglas 3 november 2019

No comments: