Thursday, October 08, 2020

The Ghosts Of My Gestures Fade

THE GHOSTS OF MY GESTURES FADE
Sometimes I feel I am peering through a one way mirror
into the faces that I see into certain gestures into time that falls
away as petals from the flower of them as shafts of sunlight from the darkening trees
I can see all these I can feel in each detail the scent of snow or sudden hail spiced mold of leaves the antique rose the parboiled
fairy tale making do for dinner
and yet
there is no echo back not even a tapping on the glass.
the orange studded with cloves I made my Grandmother for Christmas past
only the sense that I am acknowledged long enough for my answers to be copied onto someone else's paper'or marked
"present" as a necessary foil
it baffles me. Looking out;fending within and wondering
is my planet shrinking; fixed in its untwinkling
my orbit negligible now;am I the ghost of my ghost somehow and was I
really ever tangible here in a walk on part later cut from the scene
admiring the rainbow oilspots on the carports;bicycling
or do my footprints disappear in the vast snows in advance
of their accumulation forgoing all that gleaming fine is sugar snow
that cannot blow on earth updrafting into the ozone
and are my words patched through this seeming
beyond all I ever felt or knew crumpling their meteoric trace
straightening their errant crowns at last beyond this place
sucked through an unmarked door perhaps
by angels finishing up their malteds or where dreams cannot lapse
into the dimestore looking glass of the world
nor waves nor gulls at sea nor meaning as I first believed it
bypassing this dimension entirely
weary from invalidations crowding the puzzle years and
seeking only God.

mary angela douglas 8-9 october 2020

No comments: