Sunday, November 22, 2020

Roots And Flowers

well all the artists steal dont they from each other
this is said a lot here and there now
I see it everywhere
wouldnt be surprised that is, if I could drive along some
unchartered interstate to see a billboard looming every
few miles like Stuckey's used to:
proclaiming the lie that
all artists steal from each other.
this one doesn't .
this one hasn't.
you are not an artist I can hear some people sniff.
you have a right to think so.
but I know I'm not a thief.
the roots of words in my poem are anchored in me.
over long decades
my own set of images ordered a certain way
appearing and reappearing in poem after poem
so that if I speak of oranges I am speaking of
my own experience of the orange my own imagination of the
orange of how cold it was half frozen from the fridge and refreshing
to sip it through a porous peppermint stick at Christmas
there are some, or there is one
Im not naming names as I dont believe in shaming people
who regularly skims the surface of my pond of poetry
and lazily while halfway occupying his brilliant mind makes up his poem's
grocery list from what he sees in my most recent cart, so that I recognize
when I read his poems what he has done with little heart stealing the egg
words barely hatched from my nests
you will not win the poetry carnival that way my friend though you may impress
taking the panda bear home for your girlfriends
my poems are my own. and my internal rhyme that chimes
remembers its way home.
and the roots are still in my garden.
and the music is still my own.
lilac and star together in the sky alone
God gave me to see and to perceive since I first started out on
this road of malediction and yet, beauty.
scatter my grifted petals on your topsoil
they will drift back to me. and the stars drift backwards too
ground of my being,
as they are.
as they were meant to be seen from my peculiar window.
they'll never grow in your climate.
mary angela douglas 22 november 2020
Mary Angela Douglas
Love
Comment
Share

No comments: