Friday, November 20, 2020

My Heart As A Kite

what shall I do with my heart made of pink paper

pink wrapping paper over a kite frame it flies

as if it wanted to drift with pink clouds toward Heaven

as if its pinkness qualified it to be in that flock

the clouds know better and the rose billed egrets 

they are more unfettered

goodbye clouds my pink kite heart sighs coming down

in the rosebeds or

in a pale green meadow because that is the way we

wanted to make our poem like a picture book story

it lands softly, my heart. it misses the clouds already

the might have been of the egrets

but we have to buy groceries now so I reeled it in

I being in this case, my mind or is it my will

or something else that likes gravy and mashed potatoes

but chooses sweet potatoes frozen instead.

ah well that's enough said.

one birthday morning we will rise

my heart and I on quite the rosy day

flinging the string to the ground

able at least to reach the ozone

and at last, God.

who has watched our progress with interest

past the seed pearls of the stars

he has scattered graciously

to light our way.

mary angela douglas 20 november 2020


No comments: