Thursday, June 17, 2021

Rose Gold In The Autumn Afternoon

the rose gold of the autumn sun

filters into the sunroom where my Grandmother's piano

lives where sometimes I played Grieg's Nocturne, or

Ravel's Pavane and dilgent gum starred baby exercises

like the March in Middle C

in memory only now, 

I gaze at the ivory keys, the grand Grand Piano

where she gave music lessons; where my much more gifted sister

played everything imaginable and with brilliance

at first reading, under the burnished star of St. Cecilia

and I miss

the sound, the sound of waters resounding of my Grandmother's 

Liebestraum

I miss so many things that seem to me, music and all

entirely made of rose gold, a softened gold resembling a locket

I would wear close to my heart, springing it

open occasionally, in these waning days,

most often in secret

to let the ghost music out

mary angela douglas 17 june 2021

No comments: