Wednesday, June 16, 2021

The Lilacs In The Evening Of My Poem

let the moon be bright and clear in my poem about the lilacs

though I know so many have written, have sung about them before

still  they have not written my lilacs into their poems

how could they

so I feel justified in making this small garden shine

and letting it be evening in the poem and it has rained

and of course the perfume of the lilacs is stronger now

and the wind knows it and the wind comes through my

poem's screen door and laughs and scatters all the papers on the 

floor

and opens all the books to the former poems about lilacs

written across the ages

and we are like, that suddenly

a shop with jeweled clocks and timepieces

all set to the same mystical railroad hour

the self same loveliness ticking away and suddenly hushed

no longer young or old

just caught out in a lilac moment

and this poem I present to you

is a bouquet of them, at evening tied with ribbons of silver

in the aforementioned moonlight

and the purple clouds of the scent of the flowers

has made you happy

thinking about this:


in heaven the lilacs are infinite

we will be too

mary angela douglas 16 june 2021;2 november 2021


variant poem:





No comments: