Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Postscript With Love To My Catholic Schooling

and if I admire the saints in their categories

the nostalgia of Catholic funeral cards

or leathern books with tissue paper over the

frontpieces veiling St. Therese with  her bouquets of

pink roses as if she'd just won some eternal beauty contest

I know you will still regard me as non Catholic

because I still think and after many years

as beautiful as the votive candles may be

their lengthening lights and shadows in the fragrant chapels

the ruby of the glass or the emerald of it

the pearl paved litanies of the Mass

leading back in time so close to the temporal Christ Himself


still more surpassing to me it always was

to stand on a windy hilltop

and think that God, pure God was in the apple blossomed winds.

mary angela douglas 27 july 2021

No comments: