Friday, January 21, 2022

ALREADY THE SNOW LIGHTS HAVE GATHERED IN THE SKIES

"iniquitous courts have banished the moonlight"

-Natalia Gorbanevskaya


(to Robert Louis Stevenson)


already the snow lights have gathered in the skies

opalescent shine the clouds from every side and corner 

of the map of our antiquities.

I dream of that, that the angels of the four corners blow

to tip my dreamship far over the tangerine horizon

and the dream artist's canvas drips

with all the water's  colours in full regalia so that

it is tyger bright winter by the time I cry:

depart from me, iniquitous courts

and I commence floating

to the place I don't know

that isn't on any map revealed by snow.

oh mapless soul, my swan,

whither will you wander now

I ask these dream shadows.

but they, like any candle going out

can only sing.

mary angela douglas 21 january 2022;9 march 2023

No comments: