Saturday, May 20, 2023

FROM THE AQUARIUM A VALEDICTORY ADDRESS, EMERITAS

 

none of this feels funny to me

stuck in the classroom aquarium, over the summer

rehearsing the games the children played

while throwing paper airplanes at each other.

now I'm a fish or think I am

and it seems to be true

and I could tell you a story or two

if you could read fish lips;sprinkle in a little fish food.

how in jr. high and high school too

it seemed that I was against the rules

by being exactly the way I was

immune to all the buzz

because I did not strive and never cared to

for holy leadership skills and confidence to the gills.

I bear no ill will.

life as a fish has been rather golden at times.

making lots of rhymes.

and my little plastic castle is to die for.

it's all the gazing in

that makes me turn my fins

how has your summer been

and all the gossip I deplore

and still have no mind for.

mary angela douglas 20 may 2023

No comments: