Saturday, May 20, 2023

ON THE PAINTING PRIMAVERA, BY BOTTICELLI

 

I wanted to write a poem about the painting Primavera

about a feeling I have always had since a child

when I was gathering violets in the shade

consoled in the woods by the day in its essence,

my violets I thought, so happily, for I have found them

they will always be, just mine

assigned on this april day and now the april days have fluttered down

the years of april, fleeting

my lost birds, spectacularly rose and lily entwined

all I feel is in the flowered breeze

that blows through Primavera

the dancing graces and grasses in the winds

the play of light on the mysteries

bellissima I whispered in the Arkansas woods

or would have, if I could

and I know, whatever is written about this painting

is a lie or a great misunderstanding

that an innocence is here

how could the world at large give voice to yet

the original Spring flawless and emeraldly vernal

beauty for which Christ died as the poets said

to shadow forth

it is not a lie

it is all the flowers blooming at once

and never dying

so that we never look back anymore

at the great disasters crowned in snows or ash.

and my lost violets near at hand in small nosegays still

there, where the brook must be flowing, and small moss citadels shine.

my Mama singing and singing

most beautiful among them all.

mary angela douglas 20 may 2023

No comments: