Tuesday, May 23, 2023

HOW IT ALL HAPPENED AT THE TOOTSIE ROLL CENTER OF THE EARTH

oh dear the matter is

I don't know why

we're suddenly tilting

into the skies

topaz at sunset

and I want to cry

centrifuge spinning

and all the controls

teacups are sloshing

it's starting to snow

the dog in its kennel

is leaving the yard

and I can't stop singing

it's getting too hard

to hold up my end of the strange conversation

I'm cutting the cake

but they're eating my ration

my name is Alice

or haven't you guessed

I'm new at the party

and yet not a guest

I want to wake up

on the clear other side

and just be the bridesmaid

and never the bride

the night lights are dimming

the afternoon's cold

and I am too witty

all's glitter, not gold.

my address is lost

where the angels all are

don't say that I'm missing

just say I slipped far.

and almost got socked with Ray Bradbury's JAR

and welcomed the fireflies

and all of the clouds

and I must be going

I'm talking too loud.

mary angela douglas 23 may 2023




No comments: