Wednesday, August 09, 2023

THAT FUTURE SEA DOUBLING BACK

for Alfred Lord Tennyson


Break, break, break,
         On thy cold gray stones, O Sea!
And I would that my tongue could utter
         The thoughts that arise in me.

-Alfred Lord Tennyson

in some sonorous summer 

with the blackbirds full in the trees

they will address old grievances

the waves and the shore

I don't know how we will hear then then

when even now we seem blind to music

will moonlight intervene

will the waves dash suddenly against the sun

icarian waves I thought

absentmindedly

will they dry up

leaving the sea of imagination

overcome

leaving us to look frantically for the old poems

like Tennyson's with the sea wall of grief

so early breached

spring's heart turned to winter's; numbed.

mary angela douglas 9 august 2023;10 august 2023

No comments: