Wednesday, March 20, 2024

THE PROGRAM ON WATER SAFETY

 

Wouldn’t it be fine to be in silver dressed

As if you were the queen of light or water

I said to myself one night after homework

The school assembly that week

Being on water safety.

I was chosen to be water

And envisioned my costume happily as fashioned with foil

Resembling fine droplets, the path of moonlight over a river spanned

in such a way as to be fairytale spangled and dazzling

And with a tin crown

Oh really the teacher said, exasperated;more than a little sarcastic.

She gave me a cardboard box with the flaps open  over my school dress waist

She painted it dull tempera blue with my help, and dangled it from my shoulders like a sandwhich board

And at home, I cried. That such illusions died.

mary angela douglas 20 march 2024


No comments: