Thursday, April 18, 2024

BECAUSE THEY COULD NOT

 

BECAUSE THEY COULD NOT

They stole my tears

From my bright song

Because they could not

Squeeze out tears of their own

Or afford the price of paid mourners

At the funeral of poetry

Dry nightingales with hearts of stone

Who dressed you up in my scarce finery.

Oh Keats could sing around them in faery rings

In his sleep;in former incarnations

They sucked his dreaming breath as well

And suddenly his poems acquired a dank and sere air;

He could no longer breathe.

To what shall I compare this strange garland about my neck.

Artificial winter snowing everywhere

My signature and Time as I felt it to be more than borrowed

The slight music that was written in me

By the Lord God I have honestly received

It seemed to them honorable to do so

To snatch and then pretend

Imitation was for them

A form of honoring me

False nightingales, fetch jewels from elsewhere

Though It wasn’t hard for me

Near the too disenchanted stream

To find fresh tears 

When they did this.

Oh Judas kiss on a primrose day

What honor it is to be honored this way

Only Christ can really say.

And I cry Cherry Ripe down to the ground.

mary angela douglas 18 april 2024


No comments: